Followers

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

I'm Too Nice

"You're so sweet."  I get told that a lot.  I guess it's because I'm usually kind and fairly soft spoken unless I'm angry or excited.  I like being sweet.  I was raised to be polite, trusting, and helpful.  I am so sweet that if someone makes me feel uncomfortable, I usually end up apologizing to them even though I know that's a little messed up.  It's easy for me to take my safety for granted though.  I have always lived in safe places, and in the small town where I live now people are nicer than anywhere else I have known.  Still, not all people are good and I always scan my surroundings.  I am aware of my personal space, trouble is I let people break that plane all the time.  Where I live it would be weird to freak out when someone passes within a few feet of me as I'm loading up my groceries.  People are nice here, and with me being as sweet as I am it would horrify me to come off as rude. So instead of creating physical space by moving away, I smile and say hello.  I inconspicuously position myself so I could attack and know what I would use for a weapon, but ultimately I let people nearer than what is smart.  Some guy even apologized to me once when I was in nursing school.  All of the parking places on campus were full, and I finally found a spot on the top level of a city-owned structure.  With a backpack full of heavy textbooks, I decided to take the elevator to the ground level.  I was alone until the last minute when some guy showed up and hopped in the elevator with me.  It would have been smarter to step off the elevator, but I was running late and didn't want to appear rude.  It must have been obvious that I was second guessing my decision because he apologized for not taking the stairs.  Instead of accepting his apology, I ended up saying sorry for appearing uncomfortable.  Yep, I'm that...nice?  I know better.  It's okay to risk offending someone and err on the side of safety.  I train hard and hope I never need to use it, but I wonder if I would listen to my instincts when it matters.

Regarding my krav maga progress, training is going really well.  My style is becoming more krav maga and less taekwondo, and I don't have to think so hard about what to do.  I am comfortable with most of the yellow belt self defenses, and my movements are fluid and logical.  I am faster and more relentless.  I am not ready for my next rank testing yet, but I feel more prepared with every training session.  For the 90-day challenge, I am concerned that I will not fulfill the required training hours before December.  I need to log about 4.5 hours every week and I am only managing about 3.5 hours.  I can come up with reasons why I have only trained that much, but excuses won't help me reach my goal.  One great thing about Global Martial Arts is that you can submit videos and receive instructor feedback prior to testing.  With the strides I have been making, I plan to submit a practice testing video in a few weeks.  Then I can make any needed changes during my final push to complete the entire 72 hours of required training.

https://globalmartialarts.university
#GMAU90DayChallenge
jillskrav.blogspot.com








No comments:

Post a Comment